For expectant and new parents, the holidays can take on a new meaning. Watching the joy your children experience is fantastic, but it can also come with some added stress. Below are a few tips to help you keep the HAPPY in your Holidays:
- Take a look at your expectations. If you are hoping for the holiday season to go perfectly, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. Instead, aim for success on a smaller scale.
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Children are notoriously cranky on big holidays and can become overwhelmed. This often sets parents up for disappointment. Try spreading out your holiday festivities over the whole season – this will give you and your family a chance to enjoy time together and create memories outside of the pressures of the actual holiday.
- Create new family traditions. This is your chance to develop holiday traditions that feel right for your family and are based on what you and your children can handle.
- Be as kind to yourself as you are to others. Take extra special care of yourself. This means asking for help when needed, indulging in some alone time, and sticking with things that recharge YOUR battery rather than casting them to the side during the holiday season.
- Change the boundaries if they are not working. Schlepping your family all over town on the holidays just might not work for you anymore. Try to make decisions that are best for you and your immediate family. Pick and choose what obligations are the most important and which can be let go of. Just remember as you change your boundaries family and friends may be resistant.
- Consider Professional Support
If you feel like you are depressed, anxious, or just not as happy as you would like, consider trying counseling. If needed, getting support for yourself is the best gift you can give to your family. South Bay Wellness is here for you as a service provider or a referral source.